Two girls make Salina South history

On Feb. 12 freshman Ninel Garcia and sophomore Breanna Stone became the first girls in Salina South High School history to qualify for the Kansas state wrestling championship. 

Four years ago, the Kansas State High School Activities Association removed girls and boys in from the same wrestling class, giving each sex a different division. Just recently, the girls division started gaining traction and competitors, but Garcia says she’s ready for it. 

“Just to be on of those girls to make it to state as a first year freshman, I’m just so happy to get there, especially to represent the school,” Garcia said

Going into regionals, Stone had a record of 20-9 and Garcia a record of 8-19. At the girls regionals, in weight bracket 109, Stone placed third and Garcia, in the 126 weight bracket, placed fourth giving them each a state qualification. At the state competition on Feb. 23 Garcia, putting an amazing effort, did not make it thru the backside, losing her last match on a 4-6.  Stone lost her first match, but recovered, winning her second. She will continue to wrestle in the girls state wrestling competition on Feb. 24.

Senior Kayson Dietz maintained a record of 37-3 and senior Brandon Fletcher a record of 31-13 throughout the wrestling season. At the boys regional Dietz placed first in the 285 weight bracket and Fletcher placed third in the 195 weight bracket punching them a ticket to boys KSHSAA state wrestling on Feb. 25-26.

“Wrestling is, first off, a lot of hard work. It’s going to take awhile before you get the hang of it and you’re going to lose a lot of matches. It takes time,” Dietz said.